That is where this blog begins! Here is a shot of the original door, complete with the fake brass decorative knob...
Next, I scraped the old loose paint off the door, this was pretty easy for my doors because we didn't paint them correctly last time, so the new paint scraped right off.
Then, I drew boxes in where I wanted the cutouts for the pictures to be. In this case, the door was a perfect size for three 5x7 pictures. The cutouts were 4 3/4 x 6 3/4 so that the photo could rest on a 1/8" lip inside the cutout. In other words, whatever photo size you want revealed, make the cutout 1/4" smaller.
Then I drilled holes on the inside of the four corners so I could use a jigsaw to cut out the openings.
Here is the door once I cut out the openings.
And here is the door once I took a power vibratory sander and gave the door a little distressed look by revealing some of the underlying wood.